Creating Life can now be pre-ordered at Amazon! Other retailers will follow soon. The official release date is May 2, 2017. Newsletter subscribers will receive the free templates in April ahead of the release.
Creating Life (The Art of World Building, #1) has been written and is now being edited by JJ Henke, who’s worked with me for years on various projects. I should have it back in about two weeks. Then it will take another couple of weeks to go through all the suggested changes and format it for release.
In theory I could publish it in about a month, but to do things right, I need more time. I’m hoping to get some endorsements to help with promotion. I also must line up more of what I intend with ads, blog tours, and the like.
In the meantime, I’m hard at work on Creating Places (Volume 2) and making great progress.
I’ve been finishing up Creating Life and would have been done by now, but I got caught up in volume 2, Creating Places. I couldn’t help myself. Sometimes I wake up with a good idea for how to go about writing a chapter and get carried away.
Volume 1 should be on sale by the spring of 2017. Free templates will be emailed to everyone who’s joined the mailing list.
To get an idea of the skills you’ll pick up from Creating Life (Vol 1), head over to Llurien.com and check out the humanoid species.
Randy Ellefson, the author of The Art of World Building, has been building the fantasy world of Llurien for almost three decades. At its heart are seven original species, most of them with at least one race. He’s just uploaded the tip of the iceberg about each of them to Llurien.com.
- Jhaikan – synonymous with evil and brutal violence. They are used in stories to frighten children and adults. Created by the gods of wrath, cruelty, cunning, and domination
- Rhaikan – the gods of fairness, joy, peace, and truth created the benevolent rhaikan to neutralize the threat jhaikan pose to all civilization
- Kais – 3-4 ft tall with feathery wings, the species dominates the skies
- Daekais – the gods of deception, greed, jealousy, and fear created this flying menace with poisonous teeth, claws, and minds
- Morkais – a benevolent race acting as interpreters, messengers, and saviors to anyone they see in trouble
- Karelia – the gods of truth, vitality, courage, and intuition created this species, whose supernatural skills protect people from spirits and undead
- Sorelia – a corrupted race of karelia, this nefarious race uses their supernatural talents for evil
- Kryll – the gods of curiosity, aspiration, fairness, and peace created these scholars, peacekeepers, and acrobatic weapons masters
- Mandeans – the gods of innocence, passion, expression, and unity created this amphibious species, who dominate the seas
- Kadeans – the gods of hate, domination, and cunning corrupted them into becoming a terror of the waves, attacking all who sail upon them
- Nideans – a bioluminescent, subterranean race smaller in stature and rarely seen except by those seeking what only nideans possess
- Querra – the gods of inspiration, empathy, rejuvenation, and patience created this playful, charming species, wise beyond their years
- Niquerra – cursed by the god of greed, this nefarious race tunnels deep for gems, precious minerals, and secrets of the earth to exploit
- Riven – the gods of hate, haste, cynicism, and sloth created this torn species, hell bent on killing everything while dying from disease themselves, torn apart from within
- Dariven – abandoned riven babies are sometimes found and raised in civilized society by other species, with a lifelong need to overcome their base desires
I hope to make this site a central hub of information about world building, not only from my own writings, but with links to others and possibly guests posts – so if you’d like to write one, let me know!
In the coming months, more information on the series will be revealed here, including actual content from all three volumes. I’m gearing up for publication but have some other projects in the works, too, so a release date is currently uncertain.
Please join the newsletter to get free templates once the book is published and to receive weekly updates of anything new posted here.